I successfully ran the Provo Halloween Half-Marathon on Saturday, October 30. BEST DAY OF MY LIFE. Words can’t describe how amazing it felt when I realized that I’d just run 13.1 miles…in a make-shift superhero costume.
And now, I can finally create from personal experience, my top 10 reasons why training for and running a half-marathon is a good idea:
1) For the 6-12 weeks that you train for a half-marathon, you are in better shape than ever. I should know — I was average weight when I started training, and people still complimented me on my figure after just 4 weeks. I recognize that I sound like an infomercial, but it’s true. If that change takes place in a normal figure, imagine the reaction for someone who wants to lose even a couple pounds.
2) I got asked out on an incredible number of dates during training. 3 guys alone asked if they could run with me on a regular basis.
3) You can eat (almost) as much linguine alfredo as you want, and people will just say, “it’s ok — she’s in training.”
4) You join an elite group of people who call themselves “runners” and think they’re cooler than everyone else.
5) You realize that, after 13.1 miles, you can do anything….
6) …including a full marathon…
7) If you train with someone, you learn so much about them on long runs that your friendship strengthens immensely.
8) You get to procrastinate your homework for hours on long run days.
9) You feel like a real athlete…and for a nerd without coordination like me, that’s a BIG deal.
10) The best reason of all — the feeling you get when you cross that finish line is absolutely indescribable.
I hope that my journey thus far has inspired you (yes, you) to get in on the marathon-training action. I know that I’m looking forward to another half…or maybe even a full…marathon in Spring 2011. And you can do it, too!
If my top 10 reasons have inspired you to run, I suggest you look up this runner-specific training guide that suits your personal running interests. And, once you know how to train, this guide to local races from marathonguide.com should help you find what marathon works for you. Happy training!
If you are a passionate runner like me, I’d like to hear your top reasons for running. And if not, I’d like to hear about your top reasons…for NOT running…and then, maybe, we can address those together